Homeland Security Measures for the
Prevention of Neurobiological Hijacking
The integration of mindfulness and somatic awareness into therapeutic practice is often misunderstood and frequently misused. However, a somatically grounded, neuroaffective and psychodynamically informed perspective can support our clients to transform the core patterns that form their distinctive personal styles.
Somatic therapies engage cognitive, behavioral, emotional, neurobiological and energetic systems to help clients become more organized and alive. Interventions are bi-directional, moving from cognition to neurobiology and from neurobiology to cognition. As we say, somatic therapists work top-down and bottom-up.
At the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Differentiate between mindfulness and somatic awareness;
- Describe top-down and bottom-up therapeutic interventions;
- Identify strategies for integrating mindfulness practices into therapeutic process;
- Identify strategies for integrating somatic practices into therapeutic process;
- Integrate somatic practices within their current clinical perspective.
- Describe how somatic practices can enhance awareness of transference-countertransference processes.